Saturday, January 5, 2013

Easy Peasy Meatloaf

I must admit, I have never in my life had I had meatloaf.  Growing up, I had only heard horror stories from my friends.  "We had meatloaf last night YUCK!" I started doing a bit of research on this dish.  Looking through recipe's on the web as well in some old dusty cook books.  Finding similarities in most I decided to try whipping up my own!

INGREDIENTS:

2 eggs beat lightly wit a fork
2/3 cup of milk
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
3 slices fresh bread crumbled
1 onion chopped
1/2 raw carrot chopped fine
1/2 celery stalk chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef

SAUCE - this is what I thought might be gross but turned out AMAZING!

1/4 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup or chili sauce or both
1 tbsp prepared mustard

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1.  Beat eggs in large bowl, add milk, salt, pepper and crumbled bread.  Beat until bread is moist.
2. Add onion, carrot, celery, cheese and ground beef mixing well
3. Pack into 9 x 5" loaf pan
4. Combine brown sugar, ketchup, chili sauce & mustard, spread evenly over loaf
5. Bake for 1 hour (watch if smaller pans) and let stand for 10 minutes, remove from pan.




No comments:

Post a Comment