Monday, October 29, 2012

Red Pepper, Four Cheese Spinach Dip

Today's Little Rant About Shopping Local:

I love to support our local markets as best as I can.  Today proved a point as to why I love shopping at Turners Farm Market off of hwy #2.  Not only are their veggies fresh you can guarantee they aren't bad and as I found out today....crawling with earthworms.   That is right readers, today I made a quick stop at Ingersoll's Independent Store to pick up the cheese ingredients  (Parmesan and Romano) and while I was there decided to grab a bunch of green onion. HUGE HUGE HUGE MISTAKE!  Why you may ask?  I got home only to find  my bunch of onions were infested with big slimy gross earthworms! Immediately I went back to the store to return them. The Customer Service Rep didn't even seem concerned as she threw them in the trash bin and handed me my .79.  DISGUSTING!   I made the trip out to Turners, yes just to get onions....and vowed I will never ever get my vegetables at Independent EVER AGAIN!

 So now to the good stuff:


Halloween is approaching quickly, and my husband and I were invited to a Scary - Movie - thon!  I am defiantly a little Suzy Homemaker when it comes to get together's!  I love trying new finger food appetizers and mini desserts!  Today, I desperately had a craving for Kelsey's Spinach dip and I found this super awesome recipe on Google! And trust me, it tastes exactly like the real thing!


8 ounces cream cheese
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon freshly grated Romano cheese
1 tablespoon very finely chopped red bell pepper
1 green onion (scallion) white and green finely chopped
1/2 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/2 cup grated medium Cheddar cheese
1 pinch cayenne pepper


DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Mix first 4 ingredients with hand or stand mixer on medium until softened and well mixed.

Add next two ingredients and mix on med-low until just incorporated.

Add spinach and mix on low until just incorporated.

Transfer mixture to a small ovenproof dish and sprinkling cayenne on top to taste. Top with cheddar. Bake for 15 - 18 minutes or until bubbling around the edges.

Remove from oven and allow to set for 5 - 7 minutes before serving. Serve with fried or baked pita wedges and tortilla chips (nachos).




No comments:

Post a Comment